How to Dispute Inaccurate Information on My Special Credit Report

Acquiring your special credit report is half of the battle. Experts estimate that 25% of all credit reports have errors that are significant enough to change a credit score. If you find errors or mistakes in your credit report file, you must contact the credit reporting agency immediately to initiate a dispute.

Note, you can’t dispute your special credit report until you’ve obtained your special credit report. Start your request now or read more in our “How to Request My Special Credit Report” guide.

How Do I Dispute Inaccurate Information?

Special credit report files contain two types of information: (1) personal identification information; and (2) trade line (account) information. Each credit reporting company may use its own labeling or abbreviation system. If you need help deciphering your report, here’s more on “How to Read Your Special Credit Report”.

To file a formal dispute, send a letter to the special credit reporting agency. (The address is on the report you received.) In your dispute letter, include a copy of the special credit report and identify the inaccurate or erroneous information. Also, be sure to include an explanation of the item(s) being disputed. You must also attach a copy of your government-issued photo ID.

Here is text you can copy and paste into your dispute letter (fill in the blanks):

[Name of Special Credit Reporting Agency] _____________________________ is hereby noticed that its credit report file(s) pertaining to my individual file are inaccurate, incomplete, unverifiable, erroneous, and/ or the result of fraud or identity theft, and is demanded to complete a reasonable investigation free of charge in accordance with 15 U.S.C. § 1681, et seq. and applicable state laws. Proper identification is enclosed herein. Your response is required not later than 35 days. Include all contents required at law, including a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information, as well as furnisher identification.

The reporting agency has a 35 day deadline to investigate your claim and respond.

Where can I learn more?

For more resources, see our guides on “How to Read My Special Credit Reportand “How to Freeze My Special Credit Report”.